Six FUN Pecan Facts
Ever ask yourself: why pecans? What's so great about them? Pecans are traditionally a holiday favorite, but Beardy Boys' mission is to bring them into the mainstream market. No longer do you have to wait until Christmas to eat these delectable, nutritious nuts - add them to your toast each morning for a heart healthy treat your taste buds will love.
Check out these Six quick facts about pecans. We bet you never knew these!
1. Pecans are native to America. One is rarely seen outside North American kitchens. All the more reason to impress your international friends and broaden their horizons - they will go crazy over our healthy pecan spreads!
2. "Pecan" is from an Algonquian word variously referring to pecans, walnuts and hickory nuts. More broadly, to any nut requiring a stone to crack.
3. Pecan trees are abundant in the United States. The city of Albany, Georgia boasts of having more than 600,000 pecan trees, earning it the title of “Pecan Capital of the United States.”
4. Pecans are so popular in Texas that the pecan tree was declared its state tree in 1919. Butter pecan, an ice cream flavor that is very popular with Americans, is a Texan concoction.
5. It takes 12 years for a pecan tree to mature. When grown in ideal conditions, it can live and stay productive for up to 300 years.
6. The first pecan tree planting took place in the U.S. in Long Island, NY in 1772, when pecans gained popularity among English settlers.